Friday, May 14, 2010

Will David Beckham Bring Down the US?

I came across an interesting article today about the possibility of David Beckham playing a coaching/advisory role for the English national soccer team during World Cup 2010. The move is strategic on the part of the Brits, as Beckham has spent the last few years playing for the L.A. Galaxy of US's Major League Soccer. Theory goes that he knows the ins and outs, strengths and weaknesses of the American players, and as a result, the English can prepare accordingly for victory.

We all remember the major hullabaloo a few years ago when Beckham, armed with his celebrity wife Posh Spice, was brought over to America for what seemed like a gazillion dollars. Becks was donned the "savior" of the fledgling MLS.

I never bought into the hype then, just like I don't buy into it now. When I strapped on my boots and stepped onto the pitch, I could care less about the opponent or the scouting report.

You play to win, try your best, and at the end of the day the better team will be victorious. That's all I need to know. Lets hope Team USA abides by the same mantra.

The US plays its first match of World Cup 2010 on June 12 against England.

1 comment:

  1. While an avid England fan, USA is my "#2"! I think if the USA play very hard and with their hearts they can pull out a draw against England but looking at Group C, it might be an advantage for them to take it easy against England and clean up the rest of the group... that is of course if they don't mind coming in 2nd and possibly facing Germany (yet again) in the round of 16... It's in both team's interest to fight for 1st place as it would likely mean a game against Ghana, Serbia, or Australia... all very beatable!

    ReplyDelete