Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Funny Valentine...

Over the last few years, I've come to appreciate the music of yesteryear, and specifically the songs/sound of Ole' Blue eyes himself, Frank Sinatra. What a golden era the pop music legend lived in and how I wish that I could transport back to that time just to catch one great performance of his. I picture myself sitting in a smoky lounge surrounded by men and women dressed to the nines. I sip a tasty cocktail while Mr. Sinatra starts to belt out some balads, laughing and joking with the crowd as he moves through his set. Ahh, what a glorious time to be alive.

I also grew attached to Frank's music when I was growing up because his song repertoire fits nicely with my baritone voice. I've been known to grab a mic and sing on occasion, and last night turned into an impromptu performance night. Out with some friends at a local Fort Lauderdale establishment, we cheered when it turned out to be Karaoke night. Well, everyone else cheered as I became somewhat nervous as my friends encouraged me to perform.

In thinking about what I was going to sing, I chose "My Funny Valentine" because it was a song I knew pretty well and I figured I wouldn't screw it up. I have to say the nerves that I felt prior to performing immediately melted away as the music came on. I think I did a pretty good job, as the crowd seemed to applaud very graciously.

Here's the master himself singing the classic tune:



I hope that I did him justice last night. There is nothing like performing on stage, spotlight on you, singing to the crowd. What a rush!

No comments:

Post a Comment